Last week on SmackDown, Drew McIntyre challenged Gunther for the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania 39. Sheamus interrupted McIntyre. LA Knight then interfered in the segment. Kofi Kingston along with Xavier Woods also demanded an IC Title opportunity. However, the segment ended in a huge brawl following Karrion Kross’ appearance.
Later, Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer reported that Kofi Kingson suffered an ankle injury during the brawl. Meltzer now provided another update regarding Kofi’s injury. He stated that the former WWE Champion will be out of action for five weeks. Meltzer further said that the timeframe could be long if Kofi required surgery.
“Kingston suffered an ankle injury when McIntyre did a running flip dive on several people. It was just a fluke deal. The time frame we are hearing is five weeks. There was concern earlier it could be longer because he may have needed surgery and if he does need surgery it would be lengthy. But all impressions are based on what he said publicly and the word privately is that he won’t be needing the surgery right now.”
We gon’ be alright! 👍🏾 pic.twitter.com/QnH0xHqNiN— Kofi Kingston (@TrueKofi) March 5, 2023
Kofi Kingston was supposed to compete in a Fatal 5-Way match to determine the No. 1 contender for the Intercontinental Championship. WWE removed Kofi from the bout and replaced him with Xavier Woods.
Stay tuned with The Spotlight for more news.